This Thing Called Courage

Monday, January 19, 2009

January 19, 2009: Ding Dong, the Witch is Dead!


Yes friends, and how long have we waited for this day? Eons, it seems-- and now it is upon us. Tomorrow at 12:00 pm, Barack Hussein Obama takes the oath of office as the 44th President of the United States-- equally important, at the exact same moment, George W. Bush will no longer be president.
My one question is, is 'Alleluia' spelled with one l or two?
I feel like people must when they get out of prison. A strange sense of disbelief, that the day has actually dawned. I can think of no better words than Sam's, in The Return of the King, part three of the Lord of the Rings Trilogy:
"Gandalf! I thought you were dead! But then I thought I was dead myself. Is everything sad going to come untrue? What's happened to the world?"
"A great shadow has departed," said Gandalf. "...Well, Master Samwise, how do you feel?"
"How did I feel?" he cried. "Well, I don't know how to say it. I feel, I feel"-- he waved his arms in the air-- "I feel like spring after winter, and sun on the leaves; and like trumpets and harps and all the songs I have ever heard!"
Or how about John Adams? He must have had tomorrow in mind when he wrote, "I am apt to believe that this day will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary festival. It ought to be commemorated as the day of deliverance, by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bon- fires, and illuminations, from one end of this continent to the other, from this time forward forever- more."
Amen to that. And yes, I will be dancing in the streets tomorrow at noon, as promised. She's gone where the goblins go below, below below yo-ho....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home