This Thing Called Courage

Friday, September 28, 2007

More Pics






THESE PICS HAVE BEEN KICKING AROUND FOR A BIT so I figured I would post them. There's a great one of my nephew, Will Malachy Hayes, as well one from a recent hike up to the White Mountains (specifically at the head of Crwford Notch), and a third, of the hills overlooking the Quabbin Reservoir. Remember, you can always enlarge the pics by clicking on them.

I had a reading/signing gig last night at this place I had never heard of, The Male Center (in Boston's South End.) A very nice bunch of fellows. I left home at a more or less reasonable hour and got into town swiftly via a leadfoot, but once one there the traffic was abominable, gridlockian even, as the Sox were playing (they lost a heartbreaker) and the parking was a nightmare. As a result I was half an hour late, which is really rude-- the only consolation is that they can't start these things without me :) On Thursday October 11 I'll be doing the Thursday Morning Lecture Series at the Cambridge Center for Adult Ed, specifically their Organization of Older Students-- though all are welcome-- always lots of fun and a great group. It starts at noon at 56 Brattle Street, the Blacksmith House. There's something else coming up too, in Jamaica Plain, soon, but I'm sory to say it escapes my memory. (Hopefully they'll send a reminder!)

A very large black hawk flew directly over my back yard this afternoon when I was getting out of my car. He wasn't a red-tailed or red-shouldered, and he (or she) was too large to be a sharp-shinned hawk. Not sure what he was but he was big, and the magesterial swoop of him as he glided fifteen feet over my head took my breath away. Seconds before that, I had been quietly watching things. Thoreau says one has to wait 15 minutes sitting still in the woods before wildlife returns to an 'as you were' setting, before one came blundering along. I didn't wait that long, but low and behold a chipmunk came out, scurried across the back edge of the driveway where it meets the house, literally flew over the basement steps, rounded the corner, then began climbing my back stairs in search of sunflower seed and cracked corn, which I toss out from time to time. In the meantime the birds were flying around, a downy woodpecker, a number of house sparrows, some mourning doves, and a white bellied nuthatch. Sudddenly everybody screwed-- and I wondedred why, as I hadn't made a move nor a sound. Seconds later I understood why, as the hawk passed over, quite low-- I wonder how they know they're coming?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful beat ! I wish to apprentice while you amend your site, how
can i subscribe for a blog website? The account helped me a acceptable deal.
I had been tiny bit acquainted of this your broadcast offered bright clear idea

Here is my page; Dragon City Cheat Engine

3:14 PM  
Blogger xiaowei said...

2016-3-26 xiaowei
coach outlet store online
omega speedmaster
christian louboutin shoes
kate spade outlet
louboutin outlet
under armour
coach factory outlet
ray ban sunglasses
stephen curry shoes
christian louboutin shoes
ghd hair dryer
cheap jordans
coach outlet
armani exchange
adidas superstars
ecco outlet
mont blanc pens
timberland uk
longchamp bags
christian louboutin uk
christian louboutin outlet
asics gel kayano
canada goose jackets
michael kors outlet
cheap ray ban sunglasses
coach outlet store
michael kors purses
fitflops clearance
hollister uk
rolex daytona
polo outlet
true religion
jordan pas cher
coach outlet online
skechers outlet
rolex submariner
ture religion outlet
michael kors watches
reebok classic
michael kors handbags

8:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home